1/1 Photo of East African Roast Chicken
25 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 45 mins
From: “The Essential African Cookbook” by Rosamund Grant. Needs to marinate overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -4 1/2 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened plus extra
- butter, for basting
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 4 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- salt, and
- chili powder, to taste
- 1Remove the giblets from the chicken, if necessary, rinse out the cavity and pat the skin dry.
- 2Put the butter and all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix together well to form a thick paste.
- 3Gently ease the skin of the chicken away from the flesh and rub generously with the herb and butter mixture. Rub more of the mixture over the skin, legs and wings of the chicken and into the neck cavity.
- 4Place the chicken in a roasting tin, cover loosely with foil and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- 5Preheat oven to 375F/190°C.
- 6Cover the chicken with clean foil and roast for 1 hour, then turn the chicken over and baste with the pan juices.
- 7Cover again with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- 8Remove the foil and place the chicken breast-side up. Rub with a little extra butter and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until the meat juices run clear and the skin is golden brown.
- 9Serve with a rice dish or a salad.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for East African Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.4
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 152.7 mg
- Sodium 170.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 33.9 g