Top Review by Merlot
What a quick and easy recipe. We loved the sauce. I did add just a tiny bit of water. Because I was short on time, I used frozen precooked meatballs and can't wait to try this with my home made meatballs. Thank you for sharing this, VINA!!!
- 1 bag frozen precooked meatballs (or use an equal amount of homemade meatballs, cooked)
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans (cheapest kind!)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can tomato soup (not tomato sauce!)
- chopped hot pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree seasoning mix, pork& beans, onion, green pepper, and soup in blender or food processor. Add a few ounces of water if the sauce is too thick to pour, but you don't want it runny. Cooking in the crockpot will also add moisture.
- Put meatballs (frozen is okay) in the crockpot and pour the pureed sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Optional: Add chopped hot peppers and/or hot sauce to taste. I usually add the peppers while cooking and/or hot sauce after.
- These can be served in multiple ways: as appetizers with toothpicks and queso dip, if desired; wrapped in tortillas with sour cream, shredded cheese, tomatoes, etc.; on top of shredded lettuce with salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, crushed tortilla chips, etc. (a kind of taco salad); as a type of southwestern hero sandwich in crusty rolls with cheese, tomato, and lettuce; the main course for supper with corn bread and salad to accompany; and/or any other way you can imagine.
- These are delicious--much better than you would think just reading the ingredient list! Everyone who eats these meatballs (in any form) love them and almost always ask for the recipe.
- The standard question is:"Should I really use the cheapest pork and beans? "The answer is YES! For some reason they give the best texture to the sauce.
- If you want more of a baked bean flavor, feel free to add a touch of molasses and/or brown sugar, but I like it best without.