Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe in a Fix-It-And-Forget-It crock pot cookbook. It is extremely forgiving and versatile...not to mention delicious! You'll be amazed at the cobbler-like texture that you can get with boxed cake mix, butter and a crock-pot. I personally prefer yellow cake mix + cherry pie filling + walnuts (as recipe indicates).
- Melt your butter in a microwave-safe container.
- Stir in the cake mix until well combined and crumbly.
- Dump your pie filling into the crock-pot.
- Evenly spread your cake mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with nuts (or you can mix your nuts in with the cake).
- This can be altered to fit your family's taste (try pecans instead of walnuts, or peach pie filling instead of cherry). Multiple combinations and possibilities.
- Cook on HIGH 2 hours or LOW 4 hours. Serve warm, with whipped cream or ice cream.
This was so very easy to make and went together like a breeze. What a novel idea and it tasted just like fruit cobbler. I used the yellow cake mix and the cherry pie filling.
I did not follow the recipe - so will only comment. This is a wonderful idea! I had a pint of frozen, fresh peaches from last summer, and a lemon cake mix. Sprinkled about 1 TBsp. of sugar and equally as much cinnamon, with just a tad of fresh grated nutmeg, over the peaches (in the bottom of the crockpot). Prepared the cakemix as directed and covered the peaches with the mix. Cooked on LOW for 4 hours in the crockpot -- and if you truly have a SWEET tooth -- this is the dessert for you! It is possible that pie filling would not be as sweet, but this was more than we are accustomed to. Was surprised at the texture of the cake -- truly cobbler-like. I don't think we will do this again, but thanks firealarmqueen, for new preparation idea.