Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Grease and flour a 9 in. tart or pie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, 2 T sugar and baking powder.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1 1/2 T margarine.
- Add egg whites, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Spoon into prepared pan and spread batter to fit pan.
- Arrange apple slices, overlapping, in 2 concentric circles to cover batter.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 T sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apple slices.
- Dot with 1/2 T margarine.
- Bake 30 min.
- Cool 10 min before serving.
I found this while searching for a recipe I had years ago. Must admit I used full milk, normal marg and whole eggs, plus canned apples! but hey, it's still the same, right? LOL Anyway this is a fantastic recipe, I just throw everything except the cinnamon and apples in a bowl, stick it under the mixer til it's a batter then scrape the batter out and press tons of pie apples into the top. I put half the cinnamon in the batter. It's fabulous and even FABULOUSER (copyright) the next day, cold.
This was great! Such a nice light apple treat as compared to an apple pie. My dad called it an 'apple pizza'. So easy to make, the mosy involved thing I had to do was cut up the apples. I used a spring form pan, the only thing I would recommend is to make sure you REALLY grease it well because the sugar causes the apples to caramelize slightly on the side and stick, also I only ended up using about 3 maybe 3 1/2 cups of apples because there were just too many! I will definitely make this simple easy desert again.