Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another South Texas favorite. It is VERY GOOD AND VERY RICH TASTING!!
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄3 cup almonds, toasted
- Prepare cake mix according to directions for a 13 x 9 baking pan, cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Place sweetened condensed milk in a large, microwave safe bowl. Micro on med. for 4 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Reduce to med-low power, micro for 16 to 24 minutes, whisking every few minutes, until thick and light caramel color.
- Stir in caramel topping. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Spread evenly over cake, cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon over cake, sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
The recipe was fairly easy, except for the preparation of the sweetened condensed milk-it should be re-formulated for the stove-top. I "cooked" mine on the lowest setting in my microwave, checking it carefully and it burned after 6 minutes. So I dumped it, and just spread caramel sauce over the cake and topped it with the whipped-topping.
Super easy and received rave reviews. We will definately be making this one again.
Made this for a party at work and there wasn't a bite left. I had several requests for the recipe.