Recipe by babygirl65
This is another South Texas favorite. It is VERY GOOD AND VERY RICH TASTING!!
Top Review by 975506
The recipe was fairly easy, except for the preparation of the sweetened condensed milk-it should be re-formulated for the stove-top. I "cooked" mine on the lowest setting in my microwave, checking it carefully and it burned after 6 minutes. So I dumped it, and just spread caramel sauce over the cake and topped it with the whipped-topping.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄3 cup almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake mix according to directions for a 13 x 9 baking pan, cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Place sweetened condensed milk in a large, microwave safe bowl. Micro on med. for 4 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Reduce to med-low power, micro for 16 to 24 minutes, whisking every few minutes, until thick and light caramel color.
- Stir in caramel topping. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Spread evenly over cake, cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon over cake, sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.