Recipe by fshpiler
This is a wonderful flavorful stew.
Top Review by yogiclarebear
Very lovely stew, was well received by my family. The cooking technique of browning and removing the beef, and then simmering it makes it VERY tender (be sure to use good quality beef!) I peeled my potatoes before cutting them. I do wish there was a better measurement in the recipe regarding the vegetables, maybe cups or a weight measurement, since sizes are so relative. My beer was Guiness, but I don't know anything about dark beers so I just picked one...I will try another beer next time to see if it changes the flavor much. Thank you for posting this!
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into byte-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2 cups beef broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen green pea
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss meat with seasoned flour to coat all sides.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven and brown meat. Work in small batches so that the meat is not crowded and browns well on all sides.
- Remove meat and cook onion briefly in pan.
- Add browned meat, beer, stock and tomatoes and cover pot with a heavy lid. Simmer over low heat one hour.
- Stir in carrots and potatoes and continue to simmer over low heat, uncovered, for another hour (or more - the longer - the better) until meat is very tender and the stew is a dark rich color.
- Add peas during the last ten minutes of cooking.