Another yummy recipe from Rachel Ray Show. This one is for dinner tonight. Picture to follow. ;) Looks Yummy though. I would use a 3 cheese blend - parm, asagio and romano myself as that is my fav. I will also use 1-2 8oz packages of Rising Moon Garlic and Basil frozen Gnocchi (depending on your preference)in place of the fresh since I could not locate fresh in the refrigerated grocery aisle here locally. May be only seasonally in my area. ;)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery ribs, from the heart chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded (3 generous handfuls)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (a couple of handfuls)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 1 (16 ounce) package gnocchi, available in market refrigerated aisle with fresh pastas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- crusty bread, for mopping
- Heat a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO.
- Add celery, onions, carrots and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add stock to the pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Place chicken in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs and cheese.
- Combine the chicken mixture with your hands then roll into walnut-sized meat balls and add to the soup.
- Wash up, then add the gnocchi to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas and parsley, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Turn heat off under the stoup and allow it to cool for 5 minutes on the stovetop.
- Sprinkle each bowl with your favorite shredded or grated white cheese (see ingredients for ideas) before serving with crusty bread.
I didnt bother with shredding the carrots.I chopped all the veggies in my food processor and sauted(5min) with whole bay leaf and S&P.I made 6 cups of chicken bouillion and added veggies to the pot . I ground up leftover roasted chicken ,added 1/4 tsp nutmeg,2eggs,1 TBLsp Parsley flakes,1/2 c plain breadcrumbs and added 1 tsp Italian seasoning and made into balls,added them to the pot...I omitted the 1/2 c cheese..I cooked and drained 24oz gnocchi and added to the soup pot.Let it simmer for 30 minutes. To serve I sprinkled some shredded romano cheese over the top..Tasted wonderful the night I made it..Doesnt taste as good reheated. The gnochhi make the broth into a thick gluten..
Nice comforting soup. I used premade turkey meatballs to save time, and also chopped the carrots. In addition, I doubled the gnocchi and added 2 more cups of broth. It was really good!
I've made this many times, and it is a family favorite! I can never find ground chicken in my area, so I just use ground turkey instead with excellent results. The addition of the nutmeg is essential as it gives this soup such a nice flavor.