Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Quaker Oats booklet printed in 1989. I love the flavor of these muffins and they are pretty healthy to boot! Hope you love them as much too! These freeze very well too - just make sure to wrap them individually. I reheat the frozen muffin in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml oats, uncooked (old fashioned or quick)
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, packed
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt (optional)
- 158.51 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 78.07 ml apple juice
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 177.44 ml apple, peeled, & chopped (about 1 medium sized apple)
- Heat oven to 400F and grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the chopped apple, mixing just until moistened (do not overmix!).
- Gently fold in the apples.
- Fill cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
This was a good hearty muffin, but both DH and I thought it needed something for that extra yum. I did double the cinnamon and added some nutmeg, maybe a little extra sugar or some lemon zest would bring out the flavor more. Made for ZWT 8 by one of The Wild Bunch.
As is usually the case with your recipes, this one does not disappoint! These came together very quickly as a "happy first day of school" treat for the kiddos, and they were enjoyed by all. I used half whole wheat and half white wheat flour, and used 3 T applesauce and 1 T oil. The flavor is subtle, so if you like a big pop of cinnamon I might increase that a bit. The texture is the real win here; usually my attempts at "healthing up" muffin recipes yield denser muffins but these were light and delicious. Thanks for posting :). Made for ZWT 8: The Wild Bunch.
Very moist and tasty! I love the texture the oats give them. I used Splenda brown sugar blend (2 tbls + 2 tsps = 1/3 cup brown sugar) Used a gala apple which added some extra sweetness to the muffins. I think I will try this with all apple juice instead of the milk next time, for even more apple flavor.