Recipe by Charmed
This recipe is the closest I have seen to Don's Seafood headquartered in Lafayette, LA. the white chocolate really adds to the flavor.
Top Review by Bonica
This is one of the most requested dishes around the holidays at my house. I have even learned that you can heat the filling and topping in the microwave instead of wasting all that time over a stove with a double-boiler. Yes, it is a little on the expensive side to make, but it tops off the best of a Thanksgiving or Christmas Holiday meal. Thanks for submitting.....others will enjoy.
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 10 ounces white chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes and dried in oven
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar (cup water)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- (temperature is correct) Spray a casserole dish large enough to hold the bread and egg mixture with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Being careful not to burn the mixture, heat cream & add chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until melted and remove from the heat.
- Also in a double boiler, whisk together the milk, sugar, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla and heat until till just warm.
- Pour this into white chocolate mixture and blend.
- Place the dry bread in the baking dish & pour half the cream mixture over the bread.
- Let it absorb for a few minutes & pour remaining cream mixture over the pudding.
- Cover with foil & bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil & bake 15 minutes longer, or until top is golden.
- To make the sauce.
- Simmer 2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water on medium heat, swirling pan NOT stirring for about 15 minutes or until a deep amber color is reached. Watch closely as not to let it burn.
- Turn off burner and remove from heat and slowly add 1 cup cream while stirring.
- Add pinch of salt and bourbon and place back on still-warm burner for another minute while stirring.
- Transfer to a heat-safe dish or bottle and let cool. Store covered in the refrigerator and bring to room temp or heat in a warm water bath before serving. You can also just simply microwave the jar for 30 seconds before each use without affecting the texture or flavor.