linda atkins's Note:
This is a variation ON SABRETT HOT DOGS that are enjoyed by thousands of New yorkers every day on almost every street corner, and by the tv character Ben Matlock. If you have ever seen the show, you'll know how delightful these doggies can be.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice onions into rings about 1/4-inch thick, then half.
- 2Caramelize in butter in fry pan until golden brown.
- 3Add rest of ingredients and boil down.
- 4Add additional 2 cups of water and boil down to a saucy consistency; just enough not to be too dry, but not too much that it will soak the bread.
- 5I use sabrett dogs; however, bi-lo carries vinci's natural casings that are somewhat thicker.
- 6I prefer fresh baked philly steak rolls of which I remove the meatier portion of the bread to create a sort of well for all the ingredients.
- 7I add caraway seeds to fresh packed sauerkraut.
- 8I use spicy brown mustard and sweet relish.
- 9The onion relish goes on last.
- 10IF you'd like more heat, add a few fire peppers/jalapeños/salsa.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Doggy Relish
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.9
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 64.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g