Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a variation ON SABRETT HOT DOGS that are enjoyed by thousands of New yorkers every day on almost every street corner, and by the tv character Ben Matlock. If you have ever seen the show, you'll know how delightful these doggies can be.
- Slice onions into rings about 1/4-inch thick, then half.
- Caramelize in butter in fry pan until golden brown.
- Add rest of ingredients and boil down.
- Add additional 2 cups of water and boil down to a saucy consistency; just enough not to be too dry, but not too much that it will soak the bread.
- I use sabrett dogs; however, bi-lo carries vinci's natural casings that are somewhat thicker.
- I prefer fresh baked philly steak rolls of which I remove the meatier portion of the bread to create a sort of well for all the ingredients.
- I add caraway seeds to fresh packed sauerkraut.
- I use spicy brown mustard and sweet relish.
- The onion relish goes on last.
- IF you'd like more heat, add a few fire peppers/jalapeños/salsa.
This is great served with Greek Style Oven Fries (#18762). Toss in a few pinches of dried red chili flakes.
I have never heard of this type of relish. Never watch Matlock either. In fact, I am from the only mustard, onions, and relish on them dogs family. This has changed my perspective. Incredibly flavorful and really affected the whole hotdog experience for me. Thanks for broadening my tastes!!