Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My grandfather was a dentist. He traveled up the Missouri River by keel boat to Fort Benton, bringing the first tooth xray to Montana before Montana became a state. I never knew him,but cousins have discovered his old recipes cooked for the Gentlemen Dinners for him and other professional members of community. I have made this for four servings.
- In a crockery bowl, add vinegar.
- Add one pheasant at a time, and coat inside and outside with vinegar. Set on a plate to drain.
- Rub pheasants with butter inside and out.
- Place yellow onion quarters in each pheasant.
- Place 4 slices of bacon in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven.
- Stoke the oven on medium to high heat.
- Regular oven about 380*.
- Salt and Pepper pheasants.
- Place them on top of the bacon in dutch oven.
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Taste the wine. If it is not sweet enough, add the dash of sugar and stir.
- Baste the wine on the birds after they
- have cooked for 20 minutes. Move them apart so that each side gets browned. Baste again.
- in ten minutes.Use all the wine.
- Check in 40 minutes with a fork, if juices run clear, pheasants are done. Throw away the bacon, or crush for another day and put in the larder. Wipe out dutch oven and hang.
- Serve pheasants with roasted potatoes and poached apples.