Montana Heart Song's Note:
My grandfather was a dentist. He traveled up the Missouri River by keel boat to Fort Benton, bringing the first tooth xray to Montana before Montana became a state. I never knew him,but cousins have discovered his old recipes cooked for the Gentlemen Dinners for him and other professional members of community. I have made this for four servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a crockery bowl, add vinegar.
- 2Add one pheasant at a time, and coat inside and outside with vinegar. Set on a plate to drain.
- 3Rub pheasants with butter inside and out.
- 4Place yellow onion quarters in each pheasant.
- 5Place 4 slices of bacon in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven.
- 6Stoke the oven on medium to high heat.
- 7Regular oven about 380*.
- 8Salt and Pepper pheasants.
- 9Place them on top of the bacon in dutch oven.
- 10Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 11Taste the wine. If it is not sweet enough, add the dash of sugar and stir.
- 12Baste the wine on the birds after they
- 13have cooked for 20 minutes. Move them apart so that each side gets browned. Baste again.
- 14in ten minutes.Use all the wine.
- 15Check in 40 minutes with a fork, if juices run clear, pheasants are done. Throw away the bacon, or crush for another day and put in the larder. Wipe out dutch oven and hang.
- 16Serve pheasants with roasted potatoes and poached apples.
Browse Our Top Pheasant Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Doc's Roasted Pheasant With Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (995 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1771.4
- Calories from Fat 909
- Total Fat 101.0 g
- Saturated Fat 37.4 g
- Cholesterol 634.4 mg
- Sodium 594.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 183.5 g