Djej Bil Besla (Algerian Chicken With Onions)
- Using the flat side of your knife, chop and mash salt and garlic together on a cutting board into a smooth paste. Transfer paste to a large bowl and stir in cumin, paprika, and turmeric.
- Stir in 3 tbsp oil and then add chicken thighs and drumsticks. Toss until evenly coated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Heat remaining oil in an 8 qt Dutch oven or large tagine over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add saffron and onions to pot. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 15 minutes).
- Return chicken to pot along with lemon slices and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through (about 40 minutes).
- Remove from heat and scatter olives and cilantro over chicken. Serve over rice.