Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
When I was working my way through college at a local diner, I learned that they used leftover baked potatoes from the dinner menu that they baked the day before. They always made extra baked potatoes so that they could use them for home fries the next morning. I discovered that that was the "secret" to having flaky, crispy home fries. Very easy to make.
Top Review by Judyspin
I'm just curious--recipe said to slice potatoes as thinly as possible--the picture sure doesn't look like the potatoes were cut thinly. Other than that, I have cooked potatoes like this for years, sometimes adding chopped hot peppers with the onions. Delicious!
- 2 large baking potatoes, skins on
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly wash potatoes and pierce with a fork. Microwave at baked potato setting until done.
- Slice potatoes as thinly as possible. Put onions and butter in large skillet on medium heat and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes and continue frying until the potatoes are browned around the edges. I like some of my potatoes to be on the crispy side. Season with salt and pepper.
- This is also a great way to use up left over baked potatoes. You could also add some chopped green pepper to the potatoes. If you are going to add green peppers, cook these with the onions before adding the potatoes.