Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick and simple recipe, chicken breast in a wonderful mustard-tarragon sauce. Adapted from a cooking websites newsletter.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and melt the butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in the skillet and brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and continue cooking approximately 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and set aside, keep warm.
- Stirring cream into the pan, scrap up brown bits left in bottom of the pan. Mix in mustard and tarragon, cook and stir 5 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet and coat with sauce. Drizzle chicken with remaining sauce to serve.
This chicken is so flavorful. It tastes like a complex recipe, yet it is so simple to prepare...ya gotta love recipes like that! It is one to go to when you want to "WOW!" your guests yet simple enough for a mid-week dinner. I added an extra pat of butter to the sauce and quickly stirred it in before drizzling over the chicken one it was plated. Other then that, the recipe was made as directed. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe Lauralie. Made and reviewed for the Best of 2010 Recipe Tag game.
Wow...delicious Lori. The taste of the dijon comes through so subtle, yet really lends a nice blend to the sauce. I used 1/2 and 1/2 and also b/c I didn't have tarragon...I used a sprinkling of basil. (I looked it up as a substitute). I also did this in my cast-iron Lodge frying pan which really browned up the chicken to a golden color. A nice and easy week-end night supper meal. Thanks! Made for KK's Recipe-tag~
Served this up last night for dinner. I used fat-free Half & Half and dried tarragon. The sauce was delicious. There is only two of us so I did not double the sauce as other reviewers suggested and we had plenty. Very good and very quick.