Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These reasonably low-cal carrots are full of flavor and complement just about anything. They'd be perfect for a picnic as they're to be served at room temperature; they're also delicious cold. I clipped this from a magazine years ago. Prep time doesn't include 48-hour marinating. P.S. First "salad" 15 year-old boy has eaten and requested again in like FOREVER.
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf, small
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 lb carrot, julienned (2 1/2-inch x 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Two days before serving: combine all ingredients except carrots & mustard in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add carrots; reduce heat & simmer 15- 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat & cool slightly.
- Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Stir in mustard, cover, & refrigerate.
- On day of serving, drain carrots from marinade (can be used as salad dressing). Discard bay leaf.
- Serve at room temperature.