Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a superb chocolate cake, and has only 4 grams of fat per serving (but it's a small serving)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup hot strong black coffee
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 tablespoon buttermilk or 1 -2 tablespoon low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 12-cup bundt pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and shake out excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in coffee until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and let cool completely.
- Make icing: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough of the buttermilk to make a thick but pourable icing.
- Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.
Yummy! I made this on Nov 24th'2001 for my brother's b'day party. Everyone freaked out on it. It's delicious! I garnished it with blanched and chopped almonds and red glaze cherries. Besides that, I cut it into 2 halves in the middle so as to have 2 cakes and then, spread a layer of Lali's Homemade Chocolate Pudding on one cake and covered it with the other. Then, on top of this one, I put some more of her pudding. It was "YUM"! I clicked a snap too so as to remember how much I LOVED this cake. "This is her gift to me", my brother says:)
Mirjam, this recipe is absolutely delicious! Rich, moist and deep dark chocolate! This cake really needs no frosting, it stands on it's own, although my husband loved the icing as well! If you are a true chocolate lover, you must try this wonderful cake! I made it exactly as the recipe called for. Thanks for posting this one, Mirjam. My family truly enjoyed every bite!
I have Wings! A chocolate Angel! This is fantastic--moist, light and deep chocolate flavor. On a scale of 1-10 this is a 12!!! Chocolate makes me happy & this did it!