Recipe by LAURIE
My favorite recipe from my friend Dianne who requested this as a birthday cake from her gramma when she was a child. I love to make this cake, but its even better when Dianne makes it!
Top Review by LAURIE
True this is not a "pretty" cake, but rather a very tasty one...and it doest look wierd, BUT it shouldnt be dry and the topping does make it much better! Sounds like you did nothing wrong Missy!
- 4 cups peeled and diced apples
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together apples and 1 1/4 c sugar.
- Add eggs, oil and vanilla, combining well.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture.
- Continue stirring until all flour has been mixed in.
- DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC MIXER.
- Mixture will be very thick.
- Spread in 9x13 pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- After cake has been baking for 25 minutes begin to make the topping.
- Heat butter sugars and water until melted in medium saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 TBS flour.
- Cook over low until it thickens and is less cloudy.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla.
- When cake is done, spread topping over all and allow to cool.