This was a WeightWatchers recipe that I modified to make it more diabetic friendly. The original recipe called for all purpose flour, brown sugar, butter and an egg. I mixed the flours, used natural unsweetned applesauce for the butter and egg substitute for the egg. Also, the molasses was cut from 1/3 cup to 2 tablespoons.
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup brown sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 eggs or 1 egg substitute
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl with a wire whisk.
- Mix applesauce, brown sugar replacement, buttermilk, molasses, water and egg substitute together in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir the applesauce mixture into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.