Recipe by Annacia
From South Africa,it's actually a very easy recipe. Don't be put off by the apparent length. When your family tastes this pie you'll be glad you made it. This banana pie proves that diabetics have no need to eat plain unappetizing food. I found it on the Afri Chef site
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a wonderful looking and tasting dessert! I cannot believe that something this tasty can be this healthy. YUM!
The pudding is creamy and thick with a lovely taste and the base is soft, sweet and complements the filling nicely. I especially enjoyed the banana being layered between filling and base. The nuts I thought were a bit bland, next time Ill try toasting them first to bring out a bit more flavour.
I used an unsweetened soy milk in this with good results and choc chip sugar free cookies. I felt the margarine in the filling wouldnt be needed, so I left it out, which worked for us.
Oh and I didnt have a pan the right size, so I just made the recipe in muffin tins for tiny treats. So cute! :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this winner with us, hon. I cant wait to make it again. :)
Made and reviewed for Adopt A Tag January 2012.
- 236.59 ml sugar free cookie crumbs
- 59.14 ml finely chopped pecans
- 29.58 ml margarine
Banana Pecan Pie Filling
- 2 medium bananas (reserved)
- 414.03 ml skim milk
- 59.14 ml unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 19.71 ml sugar substitute
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 0.25 ml salt
- 59.14 ml sugar free cookie crumbs
- 59.14 ml chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Crust:.
- Soften the margarine.
- Blend cookie crumbs, pecans, and margarine in a bowl to make the crust.
- Press the pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- To make Filling:.
- In a saucepan, heat all filling ingredients, except margarine, to a boil over medium heat, whisking until smooth (about 10 minutes). Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl.
- Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature. Slice the bananas.
- In prepared pie plate, arrange sliced bananas in 1 layer. Whisk cooled filling and pour evenly over bananas.
- To Make Topping:.
- Mix remaining cookie crumbs and pecans together and sprinkle over the filling. Chill the Banana Pecan Cream Pie for 1 hour before serving.