Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My youngest son's favourite curry from a very early age!
- 750 g diced pork
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 curry leaves (dried or fresh, optional if unavailable)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass (or zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- Combine pork, vinegar and soy sauce in a bowl, mix well and all to stand for 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, stir in onions, garlic, curry leaves, sugar, cinnamon,fenugreek seeds, chillies, turmeric and lemon grass.
- Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add pork to onion mixture , stir over high heat until pork is browned.
- Transfer mix to medium saucepan, stir in combined tamarind concentrate, fish sauce, stock, reserved liquid and nuts.
- Stir over high heat until mixture boils, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes or until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Outstanding! I thought the interplay of all the ingredients was just great, and well worth an extra trip to the store. The only complaint I had was that there wasn't enough of it! The recipe isn't clear whether the chilies should be fresh or dry, so I used four dried red chilies plus a few fresh green Thai chilies. Worked out about right for me.
Superb! I had to sub 1/2 tsp thai chile paste for the chiles, and chicken stock for the beef stock. That said, this is a great curry that is not only pleasing to the palate but also to the eye. Very full of flavor with the first marinated pork, then the balanced curry sauce, both spicy and mildly hot, rounded out by the crisp lemongrass, ginger and tamarind. The curry sauce is also excellent with chicken and for roasting tofu(fabulous with the tofu actually!). Versatile, easy, super fragrant and family friendly (easily adjust the spices to suit your taste -- our toddler prefered our 2nd try that was a bit less heavy with the chilie paste.) Thanks for sharing this great curry.