Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I do not remember where I got this recipe, but my husband says it tastes just as good as what he had at Denny's. I am just amazed at all of the great reviews on this recipe!! My family loves it, so I thought I would share it here and I'm so glad I did because it seems you all love it just as much!!! Thanks to all of you who have tried it!
- Mix together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt& cinnamon.
- Heat a large skillet, or griddle.
- When the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon butter.
- If the butter smokes, your pan is too hot; turn down the heat.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter for 30 seconds on each side.
- Let some of the batter drip off, then put in skillet.
- Cook each slice 1 1/2-2 minutes per side until each side is golden brown.
- Add more butter, if necessary, to cook all of the slices.
- To serve, put on plate, dust with powdered sugar. Serve with butter & hot syrup.
First, and foremost, this recipe ROCKS!! Secondly, I have noticed a good bit of people are having issues with lumps or floating cinnamon. Best advice I can give, after experimenting with a few ways of doing it, is to mix your dry ingredients first. Followed by your milk, but like a third of it at first to get it wet. Add yours eggs in last. This should help get things well on their way with way less lumps. Enjoy!
This is my 3rd time of using this recipe and I absolutely love it!! I've been on WW in the past and was looking for ways to slim down the recipe - so this time I used "Soft" 100% whole wheat bread, wheat flour, non-fat milk, and cut the sugar down to about 1/4 cup. It was great!! My husband (who is a picky eater) and my 2 year old son loved it!!
Also....this makes quite a bit of french toast, I think I used about 3/4 of a loaf of bread. So what we have left over I put in a zip lock bag in the freezer, and then for a quick breakfast you just pull out a couple slices and throw in the toaster (I usually have to put it in twice in our toaster) and it comes out great!!
Word's cannot describe how wonderful this recipe is. Every other week, I make up large batches of it to put in the freezer. My kids pop a couple of slices into the microwave and have a delicious, hot breakfast before school. Thank you so much for posting this!