Recipe by Sue Lau
Catfish is delicious. Some folks haven't tried it any way but blackened and pan-fried. This is really good! You must try this.
- 1 medium potato
- 1 turnip
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb boneless catfish nuggets
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- hot steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potato and turnip and cut into small diced pieces.
- In a large pot mix together potato, turnip, tomatoes (with juice), onion, celery, clam juice, water, and garlic.
- Season stew to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, and continue to cook, covered, another 5 minutes, stirring once in awhile, until vegetables are almost tender.
- In a small bowl, toss catfish nuggets with paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Add catfish to stew, and continue to cook until fish flakes easily with fork, about another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve stew in bowls over hot steamed rice.
- Have hot sauce like Tabasco handy.