Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe on pickycook.com as a layer cake. I like it because there is no butter and I substituted the regular flour for spelt flour.
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup regular hemp milk or 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put muffin liners into muffin pan.
- Wisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl wisk eggs, oil, hemp milk, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined - DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Pour batter into muffin liners.
- Bake for 15 - 25 minutes check with toothpick.
I substituted the spelt flour for 2cups of rice flour and 2tsp xanthan gum powder. I also added a bit more fluid. Great result - very moist.
These are incredible! Dense, moist, chewy, they are delicious! I have made them multiple times for my family (we top them with vegan chocolate sour cream frosting) and am making more this weekend for my son's 8th birthday because he loves them so much!
This didn't work well for me. I'm not sure what happened, I followed the recipe, no subsitutions or anything. It rose very well, so well that it over flowed, then collapsed. So the end result looked ike someone dug the middle out. It was sweet, but a little on the sticky side. The was good, light and fluffy. The taste was a little over powered by the baking powder. I think next time I'll try it with 1/2 the baking powder, and ony 1 cup of sugar. Nice start Audrey, but I'm afraid it needs a bit of work.