Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Total comfort food...a simple and absolutely delicious chicken dish, and ready in just about 1 hour. This dish has so much flavor, I have made this many times over the years, it will always be a favorite in my house. You can remove the skin if desired, also you may double the recipe, and of coarse adjust the thyme to taste. I have even added in whole peeled cloves of garlic (one whole garlic bulb, seperated into cloves) in with the veggies in place of the garlic powder.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 medium red potatoes, and cut into large pieces (leave on skin on potatoes)
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare and grease a large roasting pan (about 17x11-inch).
- Arrange the chicken skin side up in the pan.
- Place the potatoes, fennel and onion around the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, garlic powder (if using) and thyme.
- Drizzle oil over chicken and veggies.
- Roast/cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove and baste with drippings from the pan.
- Place back in oven and bake for about another 20-25 minutes more, or until chicken is done.
- Transfer chicken and veggies to a platter.
- Skim off fat from drippings.
- Add in about 1/3 cup water to the roasting pan; bring to boil (I do this on top of the stove) and boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until brown bits are loosened from bottom of the pan.
- Spoon juices over chicken and veggies.