Garlic and Thyme Roasted Chicken With Crispy Drippings Croutons
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- country bread, ciabatta or other sturdy bread, preferably stale, sliced at least 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more as needed
- 1 (4 -5 lb) chicken, patted dry
- 1 garlic head, sliced in half horizontally, through the cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 bunch thyme, sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange oven rack so that it is in center of oven. Lay bread slices in a thick, heavy-duty metal roasting pan in one layer. (Try not to use a thin or dark colored pan, which may cause bread to burn: see note.) Drizzle liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Rub 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper inside cavity of chicken. Stuff cavity with garlic, bay leaf, lemon and thyme. Rub outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle all over with remaining salt and pepper. Place it breast side up on bread.
- Roast chicken until it is deeply browned and juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a knife, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve chicken with bread from pan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a stay at home mom to a super spunky little girl. She's only 18 months and already full of personality. <br />I love recipezaar and am just getting into the contests and events. It's really helping me break out of my cooking rut. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to review or post a photo of any of my recipes, good or bad. After all we all have different tastes and suggestions for improvement are always welcome. <br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /></p>