Crispy Roast Chicken
Here's how to get a ROASTED CHICKEN really crispy and crunchy. (For extra crispy Fried Chicken, see my recipe #207405.) It's easy...your guests will be impressed! There's a secret: cornstarch. After piercing the chicken and rubbing the skin with the cornstarch rub, the fat escapes and mixes with the starch, creating the crisp coating.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Line roasting pan with foil.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Place roasting pan on rack and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Coat V rack with cooking spray.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 teaspoons salt in small mixing bowl.
- Poke holes all over chicken skin, using skewer.
- Rub cornstarch mixture evenly over chicken.
- Remove roasting pan from oven.
- Place chicken in V-rack, wing side down.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven and, using wad of paper towels, flip chicken so that other wing is facing up.
- Roast another 15 minutes.
- Again remove roasting pan from oven and, using wad of paper towels, flip chicken so that breast side is up.
- Roast chicken another 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and insert chicken on angelfood cake pan or empty soda can.
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve chicken and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Yum! the outside of the chicken is as crispy as if it had been fried. I followed the recipe exactly and used the 2 teaspoons of salt but forgot that Dutch birdies sold whole tend to be on the small side so the skin was not only very crunchy but quite salty too, so next time I will remember to cut the salt in half for our smaller birds. The rest of the cooking was easy and in all in years of roasting chickens I have never lined the roasting dish with foil.. wow what a difference in cleanup THAT made. Will be making that a habit from now on. Even though it was small, I did need to cook my chicken for just over an hour to have it fully cooked in the thickest parts, maybe that's my old oven and loosing heat from opening the oven several times to turn the bird over , although I do try hard to have the door open for the shortest time possible. I also would like to stuff the cavity next time with stuffing or herbs for a little extra flavour. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for an excellent, easy recipe that left the skin very crunchy indeed and the inside tender and moist. Thanks!