Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a caramelized apple mixture that is prepared then baked in the pancake, and then baked in the oven in a 9-inch cake pan, then puffs up like a souffle. You can even pre-cook the apple mixture to use later, just store it in the fridge, although I have never tried this, I do think that you could likely make the apple mixture, then freeze it in small containers, to have handy when you make this pancake but I have only refrigerated the apple mixture... It is the perfect brunch, I have even served this for dinner too, this is one of my DH's favorites pancakes, he can eat a whole one all by himself LOL! I usually make two (prepare in two separate bowls) and use two cake pans. This is the most fantastic pancake you will ever try! MacIntosh apples are really the best for this.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into small wedges
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (can use less if desired)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider (can use apple juice also)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- additional butter (cubed small)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Prepare and grease one 9-inch round cake pan (prepare two if doubling recipe).
- TO make the apple filling: this step can be made well in advance and refrigerated.
- Sauté the apples in butter in a non-stick skillet over low heat.
- Add in lemon juice, brown sugar, vanilla and apple cider (or juice if using); cook about 7-8 minutes until soft.
- Cool for about 10-15 minutes, or refrigerate for later use.
- To make batter: Process ALL ingredients on a processor until smooth (can use a wire whisk also for this).
- Place the prepared slightly cooled apple mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
- Pour the pancake batter over the apple mixture (do not mix).
- Dot with butter bits.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until puffy.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup if desired.
I made a similar recipe from this site recently, and it was very good (four stars), but this one is very very veryveryveryVERY good! We're expecting houseguests in a few days, and this will be their breakfast treat on the first morning. Merci, KCal!
I was a little disappointed in the texture - I thought it would be lighter and puffier. It may not be quite fair to take away a star because I did cut the recipe in half and that may have affected the lightnes. It was very tasty and just the right amount of vanilla
Five stars really is not enough to rate this fantstic pancake, and delicious is really an under statement as to how good this is, this is our new favorite apple pancake, I could eat this everyday and be happy! KITTENCAL my friend, you have the BEST recipes on this site! thank you.