Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 mins
These muffins are loaded with only good for you ingredients and have lots of options - be creative! I will suggest different options where possible or just make the recipe as stated for a deliciously moist and flavorful muffin for breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk (or regular non-fat milk, soy milk, almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe mashed banana (or 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil (vegetable, canola, or safflower)
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup dried currant (or raisins or cranberries, also optional)
- orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare a 12 muffin tin with liners or oil.
- Place all the dry ingredients including spices, in a blow and mix together, set a side.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg, vanilla and oil until well blended.
- Add the mashed banana, honey, and orange zest (if using) to the batter. Mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients to batter and mix.
- Last add coconut and currants if using. You can also add pecans or walnuts if you like nuts in your muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes.