Delicious Low-Fat Strawberry Banana Muffins
These are so moist and flavourful it's hard to believe they are low-fat.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat banana yogurt
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray or line with paper cups. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Stir in strawberries.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, yogurt, banana, egg, and vanilla. Mix well. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined without overmixing. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake until tops of muffins are firm and golden, about 20 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Turn muffins out onto rack and cool completely.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My finicky husband liked these! I cut the white sugar to 1/2 cup and did not pack the brown sugar. I also only had vanilla yogurt. The recipe produced enough batter that each muffin cup was filled to the top. Tip: do as the recipe says, and grease the pan...even if you line with paper cups as I did. About 1/3 of the muffin bottom stuck! LOL! Tasty muffins and so glad to use our strawberries in this healthier recipe. Thanks!
I just baked these as mini-muffins, and hope to manage to have some left to take to church fellowship hour tomorrow! I also used sour cream (more versatile than yogurt and it's hard to find flavored yogurts that don't have tons of chemicals in them). I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes and they have great browning, texture, and flavor.