Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an original Asian soup recipe from a popular Asian restaurant in California, sent to me by my girlfriend who resides there. This is one of the best, and easy to make Asian soup recipes around, a must-try. (Note: if you are not a big fan of tofu, then it may be omitted if desired, but I think that the soup has a much better taste with the tofu added)
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
DELICIOUS-a great starter to my Beijing meal tonight! I did make a few changes to appeal to a crowd-I omited the shrimp, cilantro, and spinach, and I added shitake and straw mushrooms and beaten egg. Fast, easy, and soooo flavorful. Thank you, Kitten, for a wonderful recipe!!!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh garlic
- 2 (32 ounce) cans chicken broth, plus
- 2 cups chicken broth (or more if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package firm tofu, cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can straw mushrooms or 1 (8 ounce) canregular canned mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (must use ONLY rice wine vinegar, NOT regular white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen oriental-style vegetables
- 1 lb peeled uncooked shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, trimmed and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Over medium heat, saute ginger and garlic, cook until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Combine 1 cup broth with cornstarch until smooth.
- To the pot, add the cornstarch/broth mixture, remaining broth, tofu, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, cook until thickened.
- Add frozen veggies, shrimp and cilantro.
- Simmer until shrimp is just opaque (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in spinach, just until wilted.
- Note: you may use frozen spinach (drained and chopped) in place of fresh spinach.