Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Extremely easy and really good- throw out all of your other chili recipes- this is the one- all guys want- and will kill for- again and again!
- 2 lbs of your favorite ground meat, deer, moose, elk, ground steak, and if you must, ground hamburger (drained)
- 1 cup diced onion, red, yellow, Vidalia (in season the best)
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green pepper, diced
- 12 -16 ounces tomato juice (better) or 12 -16 ounces v 8 vegetable juice (better)
- 12 -16 ounces diced tomatoes (better) or 12 -16 ounces diced tomatoes and green chilies (better)
- 12 -16 ounces pork and beans (the better the brand, the better it is)
- 12 -16 ounces red kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, better or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared minced garlic (in jar or fresh crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste or leave out)
- 1 cup of shredded pizza cheese or 1 cup taco blend cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cornmeal mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn (yea i know but it comes out good in the end)
- 1⁄2 cup of real vitamin d milk (none of that sissy fat free stuff, why start now right)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (add more..don't ! )
- 2 -3 tablespoons of good oil (not olive it burns to quick)
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (in meat while cooking(= not optional=()
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- These ingredients can be made up in advance and topped with the cornbread at the camp and or or frozen for later addition of the cornbread topping.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (U.S.A).
- Fry your meat ( your choice) in a large stock-like -pot-in the oil, till lightly browned, with 1/2 the garlic. When almost done add rest of the garlic- 1/4 cup of water and the flour then- scrape pan real good (wood spoons are great for this) while stirring till the water is gone making a gravy like substance add onion-tomatoes-tomato juice-pork and beans-kidney beans-salt-chili powder-and the red pepper(optional).
- Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.( stirring every 5 minutes or so).
- Meanwhile in a medium- large bowl add the cornmeal- cream corn -milk-and the sugar----(don't add more-- recipe no-no--- the cornbread won't rise with more sugar than called for --ever-- so don't ever add more sugar than called for in a cornbread recipe).
- Pour the chili into a deep 9x13 glass-Pyrex- baking dish smooth the mixture out level.
- Top evenly with the cheese.
- Pour all of the cornbread mixture on top of the cheese and smooth out level making sure to get it in the corners of the dish.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 30-40 minutes or till top is lightly to golden brown don't burn this topping.
- SERVES ---?----- (yea right- not on my planet !).
My family really enjoyed this! It's a different take on chili, and I really liked it with the cornbread, which was really sweet. This was a great recipe and I look forward to making it again one day.