Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
These crisp golden mozzarella sandwiches are served with a flavour-packed sauce and make a terrific starter or light lunch. A classic Italian snack.
For the deep-fried mozzarella
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 9 ounces buffalo mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 x 1/2in thick slices
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 -3 basil leaves
- oil, for deep frying
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- To make the sauce: heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, then the oregano and wine and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the sauce in a food processor or blender and season with salt and pepper. Blend for a few seconds, leaving the mixture a little chunky. Add the basil leaves to the sauce.
- Cut the bread slices into slightly larger discs than the mozzarella slices. Dip one side of the bread slices into the milk and then place a slice of mozzarella on the dry side with some basil leaves. Season the mozzarella with salt and pepper and make a sandwich with the other slice of bread, milk-soaked side on the outside.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Coat the sandwiches with the beaten egg.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer and when hot deep fry the sandwiches for about 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp on the outside. Drain on kitchen paper
- To serve: reheat the sauce and spoon the hot sauce onto the plate; place 2 mozzarella sandwiches in the middle and serve straight away.