Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
This is just an old-fashioned chess pie. Best of all, you can't taste the buttermilk, and it's "so rich" :). Time for cooling pie is not included. Submitted on May 23, 2006.
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix together buttermilk and eggs; set aside.
- Combine sugar, flour, cornmeal, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Stir in vanilla and melted margarine.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Check pie at 40 minutes. The center should be set with a slight "jiggle".
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.