Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My sister made these and I ate 6 pieces in one sitting, so you know they are good!
Make and share this Date Squares (Gluten Free) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb chopped dates (2 1/2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (do not use oil or they will be very crumbly)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon non-alcohol vanilla
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Mix and cook filling ingredients over low heat until semi thick.
- Mix all dough ingredients together and press ¾ of mixture into bottom of greased 9x9inch pan.
- Spread the filling over top.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dough mixture over filling.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is golden (approx. 25 minutes).
- Cool & cut into squares.
I loved these, my family loved, my coworkers loved these! Especially those on gluten-free diets. Thanks. I'm going to make them again but with more crumble and less sugar. Thanks.
I followed the recipe as listed and the flavor was very good, but the consistency was very dry/crumbly. I could not cut them into squares, so I scooped them over vanilla ice cream which was tasty :)
I have a number of similar recipes in my file now, but it's ALWAYS nice to include one like that can be made when you want them to be gluten-free, but just as enjoyable eating for the rest of us! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag]