Recipe by katew
from Donna Hay
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these to share with my son & his wife, & I'll certainly be making the recipe again, 'cause these scones are wonderfully delicious! As usual when a recipe calls for a citrus zest, I was generous with the amount! Also used the very moist large Medjool dates that I almost always have around! A very nice keeper of a recipe, for sure! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag]
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 75 g cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup milk, plus extra for brushing
- raw sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place flour, sugar and rind in a bowl, combine.
- Add butter and rub in with finger tips till like breadcrumbs.
- Stir through dates.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in milk.
- Using a knife,mix milk into flour until just combined.
- Put onto lightly floured board and gently bring the dough together.
- Roll out till 2mm thick, using cutter cut into 16 rounds.
- Place scones on baking tray.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve with butter.