Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
from Donna Hay
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 75 g cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup milk, plus extra for brushing
- raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place flour, sugar and rind in a bowl, combine.
- Add butter and rub in with finger tips till like breadcrumbs.
- Stir through dates.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in milk.
- Using a knife,mix milk into flour until just combined.
- Put onto lightly floured board and gently bring the dough together.
- Roll out till 2mm thick, using cutter cut into 16 rounds.
- Place scones on baking tray.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve with butter.
Made these to share with my son & his wife, & I'll certainly be making the recipe again, 'cause these scones are wonderfully delicious! As usual when a recipe calls for a citrus zest, I was generous with the amount! Also used the very moist large Medjool dates that I almost always have around! A very nice keeper of a recipe, for sure! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag]
Yum!!! Made for DH and DS who both kept saying they were good. Made as written. Am looking forward to making again once my cold is gone as this combo sounds like one I would love as much as DH and DS did. Thanks so much for the post.