Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the last recipe you will ever need for DATE NUT BREAD. Better than the very expensive store purchased loaves. Great with cream cheese. Very impressive served at a brunch or as a snack, my kids even like it for lunch.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups sifted flour
- 3⁄4 chopped pecans or 3⁄4 walnuts
- Pour soda and boiling water over dates and raisins.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Beat well.
- Add flour and mix.
- Pour in fruit mixture including water, and nuts.
- Bake in a greased 9X5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45- 55 minutes.
I was so disapointed in this recipe. The bread was dry and of course it was... especially when it only called for 2Tbl of butter..... Also, I think the dates should be chopped and the recipe doesn't tell you that. I really depend on other reviews to decide if i try something so i was very sad to see that others gave this 5 stars when honestly... it didn't deserve any. I won't be keeping this recipe. I think i'll forge ahead and try a recipe for some date nut bars since i have extra dates... Sorry!!!
Great recipe! The only change I made was using 1 cup broken walnuts rather than 3/4 cup chopped. This will certainly be a much used recipe around our house. Thanks!
is a very good recipe thanks for submitting