Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir dates, pecans, and soda into hot water; set aside to cool.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer.Add egg, and beat well.
- Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with fruit-nut mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 28-ounce fruit cans. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in cans 10 minutes; remove and let cool on wire racks.