Recipe by Brian Holley
My new recipe for this popular cake. I use ground walnuts in the mix and halved and chopped nuts. The cake can be finished with a butter/sugar filling.
- 8 ounces self raising flour, sifted
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2 ounces walnuts, ground
- 3 ounces chopped dates
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 7 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 180c/350°F.
- Grease a 6" cake tin or 1 lb loaf tin, and line with greaseproof paper.
- Rub the butter into the flour so that it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, ground nuts, chopped nuts, dates and the spice. Mix well.
- Add the egg and milk stir with a spoon, do not beat the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the tin and top with a few nuts.
- Bake for 1.5 hour or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins and place on a wire rack. When cool peel off the paper.