1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
If you enjoy making bundt cakes & holiday baking, here's a gem of a recipe found in the Oct/Nov 08 issue of Cooking Pleasures!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKE
- 16 ounces pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then both coat inside of a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray & sprinkle with flour.
- 2FOR THE CAKE ~ Combine dates & water in medium bowl, then stir in baking soda.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & selt.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter & brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Beat in vanilla & orange zest.
- 7At low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- 8Stir in walnuts & dates (with the liquid included).
- 9Spread into prepared Bundt pan & bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- 11FOR THE SAUCE ~ Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring cream & 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer 5 minutes.
- 12Set aside & reserve 1 cup of sauce to brush over cake, then continue simmering remaining sauce for 10 more minutes to thicken.
- 13Stir in orange zest.
- 14After cooling for 10 minutes, invert cake onto wire rack.
- 15Poke holes all over with either a toothpick or a larger pick (I use a meat themometer!).
- 16Brush reserved cup of sauce over top of cake, then cool at least 45 minutes. [NOTE: Cake can be made up to 3 days ahead ~ Just cover & store at room temperature, while refrigerating the sauce.].
- 17When ready to serve, warm the sauce & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date and Walnut Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.2
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 115.9 mg
- Sodium 224.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 44.9 g
- Protein 6.0 g