Recipe by Sydney Mike
If you enjoy making bundt cakes & holiday baking, here's a gem of a recipe found in the Oct/Nov 08 issue of Cooking Pleasures!
FOR THE CAKE
- 16 ounces pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (minced or grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then both coat inside of a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray & sprinkle with flour.
- FOR THE CAKE ~ Combine dates & water in medium bowl, then stir in baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & selt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter & brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla & orange zest.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in walnuts & dates (with the liquid included).
- Spread into prepared Bundt pan & bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- FOR THE SAUCE ~ Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring cream & 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer 5 minutes.
- Set aside & reserve 1 cup of sauce to brush over cake, then continue simmering remaining sauce for 10 more minutes to thicken.
- Stir in orange zest.
- After cooling for 10 minutes, invert cake onto wire rack.
- Poke holes all over with either a toothpick or a larger pick (I use a meat themometer!).
- Brush reserved cup of sauce over top of cake, then cool at least 45 minutes. [NOTE: Cake can be made up to 3 days ahead ~ Just cover & store at room temperature, while refrigerating the sauce.].
- When ready to serve, warm the sauce & enjoy!