Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
The best squash soup I have ever tasted and easy to make..
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- generous pinch nutmeg
- squash seeds (as garnish)
- Peel squash, cut into small cubes (4 cups +).
- Chop onion, celery and garlic.
- Melt butter in pot, add onion, celery & garlic, cook for 3 - 4 minutes, add squash, wine, then thyme & bay leaf.
- Stir, pour in broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes, then remove thyme and bay leaf.
- Puree in blender, strain back into pot.
- Before serving mix whip cream, nutmeg & salt.
- Plop a spoonful on each bowl. (We don't use the whip cream mixture nor the squash seeds as it is plenty rich without it). Delicious.
Pretty much made this as given, although I did leave off the cream & seeds! Just the two of us to eat it, & it was just as satisfying the second time around! Really enjoyed the garlic & thyme combo! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]