Recipe by mal in missouri
This is a great spice cake with no "guilty aftertaste"! It's good with the glaze listed or with a vanilla or lemon sauce like you make for gingerbread. It's moist enough to eat plain, too!
Top Review by colleen cooks
Very good. The flavor of the spice and apples was good. I did use 1 apple finely chopped instead of the raisins and substitued 1 cup of Splenda and 3/4 cup of brown sugar for the sugar.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 3⁄4 cups applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups dannon plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup raisins
Quick Yogurt Glaze
- 1 1⁄2 cups dannon plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt and cloves.
- Add applesauce, yogurt, egg, and oil; mix well.
- Stir in raisins (note: I like to soften the raisins in hot water for a few minutes before adding them-they're plumper and softer that way).
- Pour into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt or 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 325 F.
- for 50- 60 mins, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 mins.
- Serve with Quick Yogurt Glaze: Glaze: In small bowl, combine Dannon Plain Nonfat Yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Beat with fork or whisk until smooth.
- (This is also good with orange or lemon extract instead of vanilla).