Recipe by Dancer^
I make this at least once a month. This recipe is for "One-Alarm Chili." For hotter chili, add more chili powder a tablespoon at a time
Top Review by scoobrs
I made this with significant alterations for a chili contest, trying to be really unique with a lamb white chili, and it turned out excellent. I added 1 lb white beans, 1/2 t white pepper, 1/4 t thyme, rest of 12oz beer, 1 cup green bell pepper, and 1 cup celery. Substituted fresh diced serranos for canned peppers, 1 cup whipping cream for tomatoes at the corn flour step, 2 more cups broth for water and beef base, and braised lamb shank for ground beef (boiled 15 mins, braised 45 mins at 400 with dry white wine and oil). Even after the alterations I think the recipe still could've used more white beans in the end. The cream base retains more of the natural flavors I believe and still tastes like a chili in the end.
- 3 dried chilies, crumbled
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs chili-style ground beef (coarsely ground beef)
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground venison
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄8 cup minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 can beer
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mild chili powder
- 1⁄8 cup ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 cup paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup canned diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (corn flour)
- salt and pepper
- minced onion (to garnish)
- cheddar cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chili peppers and water and bring to boil.
- Discard peppers, reserve water, set aside.
- Brown meat in large, heavy kettle.
- Add onion and garlic, stewed tomato, beer, black pepper, chili powder and pepper water.
- Add cumin, brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, paprika, broth, chicken base, oregano, green chiles, beef base and vinegar.
- Simmer on low heat 30 minutes.
- Add corn flour and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with minced onion and cheddar cheese.