- 1 lb dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- fresh ginger, 2-inch piece, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (hot or mild, your preference)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 dried red chilies (or hot red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste)
- 3 -4 tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped (optional)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 8 ingredients to a large pot, along with water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; adjust heat so the mixture simmers steadily but not violently.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve OR cover and refrigerate for up to several days before reheating.