1/1 Photo of Dajaj Fe Ga3ateh - Chicken at the Bottom (Bahrain)
1 hr 20 mins
Delicious and easy! "A traditional Bahraini recipe originally posted for Welcome to Bahrain Tag Game! Modified from a recipe on http://6abkhatummi.blogspot.ca
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 lb chicken piece (breast, legs, wings, whatever you want)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice (soaked)
- khaliji mixed spice (Gulf Spices (Ibzar), I use a mix of that and Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 -4 partially open cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- chicken broth or water
- 1Half cook rice using straining method - basically you just fill the pot with water and salt to taste, bring to the boil, add rice (rice has to be MUCH less than water) and cook until rice starts floating (thats when you know its half cooked but taste rice to make sure). When your done strain rice.
- 2In the meantime, heat oil in a saucepan/pot. Rub chicken pieces with spices and add to pot (note: if pieces are large then cut slits in chicken and rub spices inside and under skin if the skin is on).
- 3Add onions & whole spices.
- 4Fry until onions are soft.
- 5Add rice & turmeric and add a little broth over the rice, mix up somewhat.
- 6Cover and reduce heat to medium- low - cook for around 45 minutes. Note: put a paper towel between cover and pot so that it absorbs the extra water.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dajaj Fe Ga3ateh - Chicken at the Bottom (Bahrain)
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.9
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 56.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: