Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
Hearty and full of flavor, this soup is good for you. This is a specialty of Yanuca Island, Fiji. From a February 1984 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section. The recipe was requested from The Fijian Resort Hotel.
- 6 1⁄2 ounces yellow lentils, rinsed (dahl)
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 ounces eggplants, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and sliced (3 1/2 inches long)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine dahl, stock, tomato, eggplant, turmeric and salt in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook until dahl are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chili and curry powder and cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add dahl mixture to onions;sprinkle with cilantro.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, ladle into bowls and serve.