Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditional lentil soup, of Bengali origin. Staple of our cuisine, easy, delicious and nutritious. Can be served with ghee, or clarified butter, for extra richness, but perfectly fine and healthier without it. Usually served with rice, or can be eaten alone :)
- 2 cups moong lentils (orange colored)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon , 5 spice blend (indian version)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to desired taste
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- wash and rinse lentils under running water several times, dumping out gritty water after each rinse.
- in medium pot boil lentils in 6 cups water for 20 minutes under medium heat, watch for foam that develops and may overflow out of the pot.
- in frying pan saute onions for 10 minutes or until translucent
- add garlic and spices to frying pan and sautee for 5 minutes more, careful not to burn garlic.
- add salt to lentil pot.
- transfer fried ingredients into lentil pot and let cook together for 5-10 more minutes.
- add fresh chopped cilantro at the end for an extra fresh taste.