Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like the sauce richer so I use 10% to 18% cream. Serve with thin slices of boiled beef with grated fresh or prepared horseradish and German style mustard. Boiled potatoes in jackets, peeled and rolled in butter and parsley. Serve with fully flavored cold beer.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb kohlrabi, peeled and cut into stick pieces about 1 1/4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, about
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a heavy frying pan over medium heat, sauté onions and 1 pound kohlrabi in butter until well coated with the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover tightly and cook, stirring occasionally, until kohlrabi is tender, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and turn to mix. Gradually add milk and cook and gently stir mixture until milk thickens to a smooth sauce. Correct seasoning, adding salt and pepper generously. Stir in parsley. Makes 4 servings.
- Woman’s Day Home Cooking Around The World.
This is such a delicious dish! I'm from the Czech Republic, and it brings back so many memories of my mother's cauliflower soup, although it's kohlrabi:) It's my husband's new favorite, too!