Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love the taste of curry leaves and I love rice. So I combined those two things and came up with this recipe. This rice dish tastes better the longer it sits. Ghee can be substituted for the olive oil. Curry leaves can be found at your Indian grocer. This recipe uses small-medium sized curry leaves. If your leaves are large, adjust accordingly.
- Heat olive oil in a large sautee pan.
- When hot, add the finely chopped curry leaves, onion, and garlic.
- Sautee over low heat until the fragrance whafts-up and the onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Watch that the leaves don't burn.
- Add garam masala and cook for one minute.
- Add the bread crumbs and stir for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice and with a spatula, turn over until thoroughly coated, being careful not to mash the rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and combine carefully.
- Garnish with the whole curry leaves.
Very nice dish. Loved it.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh M'gawd. I was so pleasantly surprised by this dish that I couldn't shuddup about it. Oh sure, I managed large forkfuls between utterings, but honestly, this rice turned out to be one of my favorites of all time, just behind Chinese fried rice (and that's a tough one to beat.) Still, curry leaf rice is going straight into my Encore cookbook where I save the best of the best. This was my first curry leaf experience, by the way, and I'm happy to report it is the beginning of a long and loving relationship. I served it with Indian Chicken in White Gravy (Safed Murgh - Curry) and a salad with Curry Vinaigrette. Just devine! Thank you, Kathy, for a lovely recipe. *** ETA: The last time I made this was with brown jasmine rice (Trader Joe's) and it was STUNNING. I can't believe I actually loved it just as much as when using not-quite-as-healthy white rice! My husband is also a huge fan of this dish. LOVE it!
This was a delightful rice recipe and one I am sure to return to. For dietary reasons, I did cut back on the salt and oil substantially without a problem. Used the full 1/2 tsp garam masala and like another reviewer omitted the bread crumbs. Thank you Kathy228 for sharing the recipe.