Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My dad used to make this one when I was a kid. I think the original recipe was adapted from a Women's Weekly cookbook. I cook this from memory and by eye so I'm not sure that my measurements will be 100% accurate. This is great served hot or cold.
- 210 g pink salmon, drained
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (increase if too dry)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 2 sheets pre-rolled puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Remove large bones and skin from salmon. Flake salmon and crush fine bones.
- Combine salmon, carrot, cheese, onion, mayonnaise and curry powder. Add extra mayonnaise if mixture is dry and crumbly. The mixture should be "sticky".
- On a greased oven slide, place one sheet of frozen puff pastry. Spread salmon mixture over sheet, leaving about 1 inch edge.
- Top with other sheet of puff pastry and press around edges to seal.
- Cut 3 slits into the top sheet of pastry to allow filling to vent steam.
- Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg and bake in a hot oven, 220°C, for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Five stars for sure. I made for good friday and the whole family enjoyed. A nice curry flavour. I had a large can of salmon however so used most of the egg in the mix and the rest for the pastry. Final recipe reviewed in PAC 2012
Opinions were divided on this one. The boys in the family thought it was a definite 5-star recipe; the girls thought 3-stars -- so we split the difference and called it 4 :-) The mixture is quite high in fat, but it tastes delicious. I wasn't sure how much pastry was needed (not sure how big a pre-rolled sheet is), and got it wrong... But the leftover pie filling made a very nice sandwich filling (if a little oniony - if making it as a sandwich filling, cut the amount of onion!). A very hearty pie, perhaps not ideal for people watching their weight, but much, much nicer than the unusual-sounding ingredients list might suggest. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Spring 2007.