Recipe by HeatherFeather
When we lived at Fort Polk, another military wife, Claire, shared this recipe with me after I tasted it at a dinner party she hosted. It is now one of my favorite salads and I am so thankful that she was gracious enough to share her recipe. Prep time assumes you are starting with precooked rice. Cook time is actually the chilling time (although it can chill overnight as well). This makes 6 generous portions or more smaller ones.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is now one of my favorite salads, too. Beautiful colors! Terrific taste! I loved the salad dressing and next time I'm going to up the seasoning a bit. I definitely preferred it warm, before I chilled it. Next time I'll serve it at room temperature. And there has to be more ways to use that dressing...
- 4 large fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 small fresh zucchini (quartered lengthwise then cut into 1/2 inch thin slices)
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice, precooked and cooled
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- green leaf lettuce leaf, garnish
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (real stuff - NOT cooking sherry)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in oil over medium heat, stirring often, for about 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add zucchini slices and green onions and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute (you want the zucchini to still be a bit crisp).
- Remove cooked veggies into a large mixing bowl and combine with cooked rice, red bell pepper, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients except oil.
- Add oil slowly, while whisking, and blend well.
- Pour over rice mixture and toss well.
- Test for seasonings- adjust if necessary for flavor or moisture.
- Cover and chill (can be chilled overnight if needed).
- When ready to serve, line a large salad bowl with clean, dry leafy green lettuce leaves and fill with chilled rice salad.